You get a bill every month (or every six months depending on your preference) for your auto insurance premiums in Louisiana. Your policy details what is covered and what is not. What it may not detail is how the policy cost was determined. There are many factors that go into an individual auto policy price and likely, no two auto policies are the same since the factors largely depend on the insured driver.
Auto insurance premiums in Louisiana may be determined by:
- Driving History: The most obvious factor is your driving history. Drivers that have accumulated many accidents and tickets typically pay more than those who don’t. Same goes for freshly minted drivers (of any age) and those who have not had insurance for an extended period of time regardless of the circumstance. While some of the factors cannot be mitigated, a few can. Staying alert and following the rules of the road can reduce the likelihood of accidents or tickets, thus potentially reducing the cost of your auto insurance premiums.
- Age: Age is one of those factors that cannot be helped. The younger you are, they higher risk you are considered. While society considers you an adult between 18 and 21, the insurance industry considers you an adult at the age of 25 which is when insurance premiums tend to drop a bit for the matured driver. Another factor you can’t change? Your gender. In the great battle of the sexes, women take the lead on this one as they tend to be safer drivers as a whole. Women tend to take fewer risks when driving, giving females an advantage when it comes to insurance premiums as they tend to pay less than their male counterparts.
- Location: Do you live in an area that is prone to car prowls or do you live a significant distance away from work? These are factors that will figure into your insurance premium. Statistically, the more you are on the road, the greater the likelihood that an accident may occur. So if you commute a long way to work (notice on your insurance application they ask you the distance from home to work?) you may incur a higher auto insurance premiums than someone who lives within a few miles of their workplace.
- Make/Model: While that little red sports car is a tempting buy, you will likely end up paying more for your auto insurance than say a family sedan. Not that you should be discouraged from buying the sports car of your dreams, just make sure you talk to your insurance agent prior to your purchase so you can be aware of the potential rate change.
- Type of Insurance Plan: Did you go for the “platinum” insurance package? You know the one: maximum coverage and a low deductible? A lower deductible means a higher upfront policy rate. Drivers who opt for the minimum coverages required by law in their state and a higher deductible may pay less for their policy. Make sure you ask your agent about your state’s required insurance coverages!
- Credit : A final factor that determines car insurance premiums? A credit score. This is kind of a sensitive subject as there are some states like California that forbid the use of a credit information for an insurance policy. A credit score is used to assess risk, the thought being the higher the credit score the lower the risk, but that is not always the case. An overall driving history is the best indicator of risk, regardless of a credit score. You can check with your agent to see if your state allows the use of a credit score in determining insurance policies.
There you have it folks. There are so many factors that influence the cost of auto insurance premiums. Since most policies renew every six months, the cost fluctuates each time depending on your situation. Make sure you let your licensed insurance agent in Louisiana know if you purchased a new car, had an accident or ticket, or if you changed your name (marriage, divorce, etc.). The local, independent agents at Glenn Dean Insurance can assist you with adding or amending an existing policy or setting you up with a new policy. Their years of insurance experience can save you a bundle. You can also visit their insurance website 24/7 to learn more about auto insurance or the other insurance products they offer like classic car or home insurance.